A graduate certificate program is a stand-alone credential that typically consists of 12-15 credit hours of graduate coursework in a focused area of study. The graduate certificate or post-master’s graduate certificate may provide individuals with specialized training in a particular academic and/or occupational area, as well as augment professional skills to help advance their careers.
Many of UNC Charlotte’s graduate certificate programs consist of a subset of courses required for a master’s degree, so they enable individuals to quickly gain admission and begin a program of study before committing to a master’s degree. Credit hours earned in a certificate program may be applied to a master’s or doctoral program pursued either in conjunction with or after the certificate has been awarded. (Note: credits earned in a certificate program may not be used to satisfy the requirements of a second certificate program).
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- GPA of 2.75 or higher on all post-secondary work attempted. If the applicant has earned a post-baccalaureate, degree grades in that program will be taken into consideration.
- A Statement of Purpose (essay) submitted online as part of the application submission process. The Statement should describe your experience, objectives for undertaking graduate study and research interests, if any. (Note: Some graduate programs request specific items to be included in the Statement. Review the program web page for details.)
- Unofficial transcripts of all academic work attempted beyond high (secondary) school can be used for admission review. An official (officially certified) final transcript must be submitted if an applicant is offered admission. International transcripts provided in a language other than English should be uploaded, but a translated version should be uploaded as well.
- Additionally, some programs also may require:
- Standardized test scores
- Recommendation Forms
- Admission requirements as specified on the certificate’s web page. Learn more about Graduate Certificates at UNC Charlotte on our dedicated website.