Meeting Your Language Requirements
Success at UNC Charlotte depends upon the student’s ability to converse in, write, and understand (American) English. To assure such competence, the university requires any applicant whose native language is not English to submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores. To be considered official, the scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to UNC Charlotte. Scores older than two years will not be accepted.
Applications from prospective students who submit English language proficiency tests with scores that do not meet the minimum score required (see below) will be considered “not complete” until such time that acceptable scores are submitted.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- UNC Charlotte’s school code is 5105. A department code is not necessary.
- Minimum Score Required: 83 Internet-based
- MyBest Scores are accepted.
- Registration: www.toefl.org
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESO Examinations, British Council, and IDP:IELTS Australia.
- Minimum Score Required: Overall band score of 6.5.
- Scores should be electronically sent to UNC Charlotte - Graduate Admissions.
- Registration: www.ielts.org
Duolingo English Test
Provided by Duolingo.
- Minimum Proficiency Score Required: 115
- Scores should be made available electronically to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Graduate School via the Duolingo test taker portal.
- Registration: www.englishtest.duolingo.com
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement cannot be admitted conditionally to Graduate School. They may, however, choose to enroll at UNC Charlotte’s English Language Training Institute (ELTI) and then re-apply to the Graduate School. See ELTI’s website for details.