Meeting Your Language Requirements
Success at UNC Charlotte depends upon the student’s ability to converse in, write, and understand (American) English. To assure such competence, the university requires any applicant whose native language is not English to submit an official TOEFL, IETLS, or Duolingo score. To be considered official, the scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to UNC Charlotte. Scores older than two years will not be accepted.
An English proficiency test may be waived if the applicant has earned a degree from a United States regionally accredited institution where English is the mode of instruction, or if the applicant has five years of full-time work experience in the United States in a position where English is heavily used in writing and speaking.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Administered by Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- Official scores sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS) are required.
- UNC Charlotte’s school code is 5105. A department code is not necessary.
- Minimum Score Required: 83 Internet-based
- MyBest Scores are accepted. You must send all of your individual scores to us and not just your "MyBest Scores.".
- Registration: www.toefl.org
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Jointly managed by University of Cambridge ESO Examinations, British Council, and IDP:IELTS Australia.
- Official scores must be sent directly from the testing center to UNC Charlotte.
- Request your scores be sent electronically to University of North Carolina Charlotte Graduate Admissions.
- Minimum Score Required: Overall band score of 6.5.
- Registration: www.ielts.org
Duolingo English Test
Provided by Duolingo.
- Official scores must be sent directly from Duolingo.
- Minimum Proficiency Score Required: 115
- Scores should be made available electronically to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Graduate School via the Duolingo test taker portal.
- Registration: www.englishtest.duolingo.com
Applicants who do not meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement cannot be admitted conditionally to Graduate School. They may, however, choose to enroll at UNC Charlotte’s English Language Training Institute (ELTI) and then re-apply to the Graduate School. See ELTI’s website for details.